The Steps Before You Move inCongratulations...you bought either a house or a condo...but now what?
The hard part of is all done, you have made the offer, it was accepted, you've made an appointment to meet with your lawyer to sign all of the documents.
Think you're all done? Likely not. If you bought a Condo the prep before you move in is going to be a little different if you purchased a single family home.
Of course there is going to be a little overlap as there are a lot of things that are the same, I am going to break both of them down for you below.
I Bought a Condo and I Love It!Here are some things you will need to do prior to moving in:
- Call Enmax to set up your utilities (That is of course of if your utilities are NOT included in the condo fees)
- Call Shaw or Telus to set up Cable, Internet, and Phone
- Taxes...if you are going on the TIPP program make sure to call 311 to get yourself set up for monthly withdrawls
- Make sure you know which mailbox, parking stall and extra storage is yours
- Get in touch with the condo management company to set up your monthly condo fee contribution
- Make sure you know and understand the By Laws prior to moving in
- Book the elevator through the management company for moving day
I Bought a House and I Loooove I-It!Make sure to check these off before moving day arrives:
- Call Enmax or Atco to set up your utilities or transfer from your previous home
- Call your internet, cable and phone provider to make sure everything is set up for move in day
- Make sure to phone 311 and get yourself set up with the tax payment plan of your choice
- If you don't have a mailbox on your house, make sure you know which box and 'bank' is yours
- Make sure to forward your mail and call Canada Post to make sure your mail is coming to the new house
- If you are renovating get everything in line for the first week of move in
- If you want the property cleaned, make sure to arrange that prior to (You might be able to ask for it as part of the purchase)
- Call the movers or book a truck or book a bunch of buddies or all of the above!
- Make sure to hit the cold beer store and order pizza for your helpers!
If you think I forgot something in my list above, by all means comment in the section below!