What to Expect When Selling Your Calgary Home for the First Time
We have had the absolute pleasure this year working with some 'first time sellers'.
Everybody has heard the term 'first time buyer' and that is where a lot of REALTORS® seem to focus their time on when writing blogs.
I want to focus today on you, the person that is selling the home they bought in Calgary 5 or 6 or 10 years ago that is their first and only home.
I will break this up into two parts as there are significant differences between selling a house in Calgary compared to selling a condo.
What do I Need to Do First?
Well, if you are in a single family home and you have made improvements to the property, you will need to update your Real Property Report or what is commonly referred to as an RPR.
An RPR looks like a site plan with all the out buildings, fences, decks, patios and any other improvements made to the exterior of the home as well as the grounds ie. a 10x10x10 Permanent Shed.
This is absolutely necessary in selling your home. Think of sellings as you making an investment in a successful sale, the first item you need to invest in is an updated RPR which will cost you around the $500-$600 range if you employ the same company that did the original.
Now That is Out of the Way
Alright, here is a proactive list that you can use when getting your home ready to list on the Calgary market:
- DeClutter and Pack up Everything You don't want to showcase in your home
- Consult a professional Stager to help with furniture positioning and interior design
- Of course...no brainer here...Hire a Professional Calgary REALTOR® to help with the job!
- ONLY use Professional Quality Photos
- You MUST hire an Agent that uses Video to Market your property..Here's an example of ours: Hidden Valley Video
- Clean up your yard...front and back...Think of this as "Staging Your Yard". It is a MUST
- Make your home readily available, meaning don't ask for 24-48 hours notice. Try to be proactive, unless of course you ABSOLUTELY need 24 hours to get ready.
- Make sure to leave a dish out and a note asking for Agents to leave a business card
- On Showing days....bake some cookies and leave them out...EVERYONE loves cookies right?!
- Lastly...try your best to remove emotion from the equation, noone loves your house as much as you do so make sure you price it right and manage your expectations accordingly....
- PS...the above ^^^ ...this is where hiring the right Agent comes in handy.